Saturday 17 May 2014

Chorlton Arts Festival - Part One

Last night I visited the World Peace Cafe to attend an event entitled "The Art of Meditation" as part of the Chorlton Arts Festival.

As a complete novice to meditation, it is safe to say I was a little apprehensive about going along. But I was absolutely blown away.




I must admit the offer of a free drink and slice of cake as well as a talk and mediation session, left my Western mind looking for the catch...

However, it didn't take long to see that I had stumbled across something really special!

The Kadampa meditation centre offers sessions throughout the week and the teachers and volunteers were all extremely helpful and welcoming.

The World Peace Cafe operates out of the same centre and has a similar ethos of calm and kindness. It's a vegetarian cafe that uses only organic, fairtrade and locally sourced ingredients with all profits dedicated to building world peace. I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to visit a cafe with a conscience!


The session itself was fantastic and mindfulness meditation is something I am so excited to learn more about. The meditation room was simply beautiful (a former artist studio) and the taster session was a real breath of fresh air.

I left the session feeling so much calmer and at peace with myself. As our teacher said, people have been practising meditation for over 2000 years, so there must be something to it!

I feel very privileged that I will soon have this place on my doorstep and will look forward to going back.



No comments:

Post a Comment