Friday 9 May 2014

Sew sew

For my birthday this year, my parents bought me a gorgeous purple sewing machine from John Lewis.

It is a pretty little thing and hope it will be just what I need to get me started.


Now whilst I am embarking on my crafty mission, I should issue a disclaimer: I have never sewn before. So I really am starting at the very beginning...

Anyhoo, I got some fabric from Busy Bee Arts and Craft centre in Kingsbridge last time we were down in Devon, and a little starter kit from Hobbycraft and I was away.

My first project was a tote bag and I followed a simple YouTube tutorial from Stitched Up and just about managed to keep up.

The hardest thing was working out how to thread the needle and the bobbins. I also got a little confused with which way round my stitching should go to give the outside of the bag a neat finish.

The finished product looks like a bag but it is certainly not perfectly formed. It all adds to it's character though :)

So here it is, my first sewing creation...




No comments:

Post a Comment